Formed in November 2010, the Ontario Nature Youth Council’s mission is to build a diverse provincial network of youth dedicated to inspiring, connecting and educating our communities while protecting wild species and wild spaces.
The 2015/16 Youth Council is comprised of 70 teens from more than 40 communities across the province. Working alongside Ontario Nature staff, they help to guide the Nature Guardians Youth Program and share a youth perspective with Ontario Nature.
- Conservation campaigns: Providing insight on conservation issues that matter to young people, including a youth-led campaign to protect pollinators
- Events: Planning annual events including Our Special Spaces and the Youth Summit for Biodiversity
- Outreach: Spreading the word about Youth Council
- Fundraising: Helping to raise money for conservation work
- Develop strong leadership skills by participating in conservation initiatives
- Develop professional skills and gain community service hours before post-secondary school
- Meet like-minded and passionate teens from across Ontario
Membership runs on a school-year basis. If you are interested in joining for the 2016 to 2017 school-year, please contact Sarah at email@example.com.
Youth Council Recognition
Youth Council members have been recognized for their achievements individually and collectively from programs including:
- The Starfish Canada’s Top 25 Environmentalists Under 25
- Lieutenant Governor’s Ontario Heritage Awards
- Canadian Museum of Nature’s Nature Inspiration Awards
- Magna International’s Give Back Awards
For more information, please contact us at:
Sarah Hedges, Conservation and Education Coordinator
Tel: 416-444-8419 ext. 241